For many people, retirement means days of relaxation and slacking, and it is not something that you can do in your city. After rounds of research and surveys, International Living has compiled a list of the best places to retire this year and ranked them accordingly. Read on and take your pick.
10. Malta. Despite its compact size, this Mediterranean island offers a marvelous lifestyle. It offers 300 days of sunshine, reasonable cost of living, and excellent health care. Once you are done exploring the island, Sicily and Paris are just a few hours away.
9. Portugal. The low cost of living and real estate are just two of the many reasons why this country is getting more and more popular among retirees. Lisbon, and the seaside towns of Estoril and Cascais, are the more favorite places of expats.
8. Nicaragua. Over the past decade, this country has undergone several changes for the better. Progress is apparent everywhere and should many any expat’s lifestyle easier. Getting a resident’s card is easy, and so is opening and running a business.
7. Spain. Miles of beaches, warm coastal climate, affordable real estate, low cost of living and laidback lifestyle make it a top retirement destination. Aside from beach living, Spain’s historic cities is a great attraction for many retirees.
6. Malaysia. Clean and modern with unrivaled public transport, this exotic place is home to some of the friendliest people in Asia. This country is known for budget travels, but there are also world-class vacation spots that both tourists and expats can enjoy.
5. Colombia. Once overlooked as a great retirement place, the country is now getting attention for its closeness to home. Aside from its great sceneries, Colombia is also proud of its warm, welcoming people, as well as their food, music and festivals.
4. Costa Rica. This safe and stable country has been giving refuge to retirees for over three decades now, and it continues to do so today. One of its best features is its high-rate health care, with world-class doctors using the latest technologies.
3. Ecuador. To those who put excellent weather as their priority when looking for a retirement place, Ecuador is it. Real estate is also very affordable, so buying or renting a property will give any retiree incredible savings in the long run.
2. Panama. It may be popular for its canal, but Panama is also drawing retirees all over the world for its ease of living. Its famous Pensionado program makes it easy for foreign retirees to get residence, also granting them a wide range of discounts.
1. Mexico. There are many great places to retire in the country, perhaps one of the most popular is Los Cabos with its gorgeous beaches, laidback lifestyle and rich culture. Many websites like CaboCribs.com can help you pick a great place to stay in this paradise.
“Mexico has always offered arguably the easiest transition to expat life around: Low-cost, conveniently close, friendly locals and plenty of expats—Mexico offers an appealing balance of exotic foreign culture and familiar First-World lifestyle… Life here is easy and relaxed. And also rich and complex in sensations and experiences.” [Source]