The holidays is a time for festivities, especially in Mexico, where Christmas season goes for almost two months. In fact, the period between December 12 (Feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe) and January 6 (Feast of the Three Wise Men) is filled with several fiestas that it is jokingly called the Guadalupe-Reyes Marathon. Here are some of the most exciting holiday activities happening all around the region.
- Sabor Food and Wine Festival – Usually held during the first week of December, this festival brings together chefs from various restaurants in the region for a whole day of eating, drinking and music.
- Parroquia San Jose – Set in the region’s historic downtown area, this beautiful church features the mosaic Pericues which depicts the killings of its early inhabitants. This is the best place to attend holiday services.
- Dressed to the K9s Christmas Party – Thrown in behalf of the Los Cabos Humane Society, this elegant soiree features a fundraising auction and raffle, along with delicious food and drinks.
- Holiday Spirits – Aside from Corona and Pacifico, Mexico also boasts a range of seasonal spirits, including PoncheNavideno, made from the hawthorne fruit, and Noche Buena, a dark, spicy lager.
- Las Posadas – This event commemorates the journey of Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Lasting for nine days, there are nightly reenactments and processions that end with house parties.
- El Dia De Los Santos Inocentes – Also called Innocent’s Day, this December 28 celebration remembers King Herod’s decree to kill all male infants to protect his throne.
- Nochevieja – After the New Year’s Eve dinner, people go out to enjoy theme nights and local parties. The New Year in San Lucas is greeted with a beautiful fireworks display over Medano Beach.
- Casa Dorada New Year’s Eve Party – The luxurious Casa Dorada Resort and Spa annually holds costume-theme parties. This is a go-to party for those looking to ring in the New Year in style.
- El Dia De Los Tres Reyes – The celebration of the Three Kings of a time for children to open their gifts, as well as for family and friends gathering. Its signature treat is the sweet bread rosca de reyes.
- Whale watching – The Los Cabos whale watching season stretches from December to April where up to 10,000 males migrate to their breeding grounds down south.
With all these activities, you will surely have a most enjoyable Christmas season in Los Cabos.